OpenStreetMap Uganda is an independent non-governmental, not for profit organisation focused on growing the OpenStreetMap community within Uganda and the use of Open Source geospatial tools to create resilient communities that can respond to local, national and global effort to meet the sustainable development goals. All activities are set up around the global OpenStreetMap (OSM) project. OSM is a map and database whereby the stored geographic data is owned by the contributors themselves: allowing everyone to view, create, use this information for free, in new and innovative ways.
The project manager will oversee the operations, functions and activities of the smart cities program. The incumbent will report to the Executive Director and will be responsible for giving proper strategic direction and implementing a high quality supervision and management on the smart cities program. The project manager is ultimately responsible for making sure MapUganda deliverables for this program are achieved as per the contract and technical specifications . This role primarily involves the supervision and coordination of Smart cities program.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Personnel and Project Management
- In consultation and coordination with the Executive director the project manager will ensure timely recruitment of quality staff in accordance with the organisational recruitment policies
- Coordinate and supervise all staff recruited on the Smart Cities to enable them achieve their performance objectives.
- Ensure that all staff on the project have valid contracts and job descriptions, and that they understand them.
- Implement performance review and performance management for all staff on the project .
- Ensure development and implementation of staff development plans.
- Schedule meetings with the Executive Director to provide a progress report on the project.
- Drafting and presenting an implementation plan to the Executive Director of all project activities to make sure deliverables on this project are achieved .
- Serve as liaison between Executive director and staff – ensuring timely provision of information to both the Executive director and staff
- Keep Executive director updated on all operations, changes, and problems.
- Coordinate all organisational activities on the Smart Cities project together with the relevant staff.
Financial Management and Program Planning
- Oversee all expenses and develop a financial tracking and monitoring sheet for the project
- Develop monthly financial reports for the project and ensure timely submission of monthly and quarterly financial reports the Executive Director.
- Review and approve all monthly and quarterly financial budgets and financial requests from staff before they are submitted to the Executive Director for approval.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with organizational financial policies and approved funding agreements/contracts on this project .
- Oversee and guide the production of work plans and project reports as well as long term time oriented strategic plans for the project.
- Oversee program compliance with established organisational policies and procedures.
- Develop, implement, and maintain tracking systems and/or for activities for the project.
- Review program progress and compare to goals and objectives.
- Assure compliance with both national and international set program standards.
Resource Development and Public Relations
- Work closely with executive director in any fundraising events or activities.
- Coordinate public relations with the purpose of increasing public awareness of the MapUganda and Openstreetmap Platform in Uganda.
- Build and maintain relationships with all appropriate groups, agencies, and organizations, and key government actors in the geospatial and international development sector.
- In liaison with the Executive Director, approve and oversee release of press packets and news releases, and follow-up of any media coverage.
- In liaison with the Executive director attend official events/engagements on this project and act as a liaison between MapUganda and a range of external stakeholders.
- Cultivate long-term strategic partnerships or donor relationships to increase the organization's effectiveness in serving the unmet needs of the urban poor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must be an influential mature manager with ability to lead and motivate a team of both staff and the national working team of the OSM community of Uganda. The incumbent must also hold a degree in a relevant field with outstanding organization and leadership abilities and ability to take a holistic approach in managing the organization’s operations. The following are also desirable:
- Proven experience as project manager or any other (senior) managerial position.
- Ability to apply high level networking techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of the OSM ecosystem and the geospatial (GIS/mapping) field.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in managing donor funded programs/projects.
- An analytical mind capable for “out-of-the-box” thinking to solve problems.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and public speaking skills.
On or before 13th November 2017
Fill in the form at: https://goo.gl/forms/bL31GVpq6H1lmOwv2
No telephone inquiries please. Successful candidates will be contacted.