OpenStreetMap Uganda is an independent non-governmental, not for profit organisation focused on growing the OpenStreetMap community within Uganda and the use of Open Source geospatial tools to create resilient communities that can respond to local, national and global effort to meet the sustainable development goals. All activities are set up around the global OpenStreetMap (OSM) project. OSM is a map and database whereby the stored geographic data is owned by the contributors themselves: allowing everyone to view, create, use this information for free, in new and innovative ways.
The Executive Director will oversee the operations, functions and activities of MapUganda. The incumbent will be the face of the organization, responsible for giving proper strategic direction and implementing a high quality vision. The Executive Director is ultimately responsible for the overall leadership and management of the organization and all aspects of its operations. This primarily involves the supervision and coordination of all projects which provide MapUganda’s services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure timely recruitment of quality staff in accordance with the organisational recruitment policies
- Coordinate and supervise administrative and management staff to enable them achieve their performance objectives
- Ensure that all staff have valid contracts and job descriptions, and that they understand them.
- Implement performance review and performance management for all staff.
- Ensure development and implementation of staff development plans
Working with the Executive Board
- Attend all Board meetings.
- Oversee implementation of all Board decisions regarding policies, and procedures.
- Serve as liaison between Board and staff – ensuring timely provision of information to both the Board and staff
- Keep Board updated on all operations, changes, and problems.
- Coordinate all organisational activities together with the relevant staff.
- Oversee the operations in the finance department
- Review and approve all monthly and quarterly financial budgets and reports before they are submitted to the donors.
- Ensure timely submission of monthly and quarterly financial reports to grantors (as required).
- Oversee and ensure compliance with organizational financial policies and approved funding agreements/contracts.
Agency and Program Planning
- Oversee and guide the production of work plans and project reports as well as long term time oriented strategic plans.
- Oversee program compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Develop, implement, and maintain tracking systems and/or for activities.
- Review program progress and compare to goals and objectives.
- Assure compliance with both national and international set program standards.
- Resource Development and Maintenance
- Research and prepare grant proposals and other funding applications.
- Develop and maintain a donor base for both monetary and non-monetary resources.
- Develop and maintain a donor tracking system.
- Work closely with Board in any fundraising events or activities.
Networking and Public Relations
- Coordinate public relations with the purpose of increasing public awareness of the MapUganda and Openstreetmap Platform in Uganda.
- Build and maintain relationships with all appropriate groups, agencies, and organizations, and key government actors in the geospatial and international development sector.
- Approve and oversee release of press packets and news releases, and follow-up of any media coverage.
- Attend official events/engagements and act as a liaison between MapUganda and a range of external stakeholders.
- Cultivate long-term strategic partnerships or donor relationships to increase the organization's effectiveness in serving the unmet needs of the urban poor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must be an influential mature manager with ability to lead and motivate a team of both staff and the national working team of the OSM community of Uganda. The incumbent must also hold a degree in a relevant field with outstanding organization and leadership abilities and ability to take a holistic approach in managing the organization’s operations. The following are also desirable:
- Proven experience as executive director or any other (senior) managerial position.
- Ability to apply successful fundraising and networking techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of the OSM ecosystem and the geospatial (GIS/mapping) field.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in managing donor funded programs/projects.
- An analytical mind capable for “out-of-the-box” thinking to solve problems.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and public speaking skills.
On or before 17th November 2017 Fill in the form at: https://goo.gl/forms/ea1AIg27LfKQi2SC2
No telephone inquiries please. Successful candidates will be contacted.