Who we are
MapUganda is a registered NGO working in and out of Kampala, across Uganda, and promotes community mapping, generates map awareness, actively pledges open data sets and builds a network of enthusiastic mappers in Uganda.
All activities are set up around the global OpenStreetMap (OSM) project. OpenStreetMap is built by a community of mappers that contribute and maintain data about roads, trails, cafés, railway stations, and much more, all over the world. OpenStreetMap emphasizes local knowledge. Contributors use aerial imagery, GPS devices, and low-tech field maps to verify that OSM is accurate and up to date.
For more information about OpenStreetMap, follow this link.
- Integrity, Transparency and Accountability: underpin the approach of all organizational management, volunteers and support staff to their duties and responsibilities. All personnel are expected to be truthful, reliable, and accountable for their actions.
- Teamwork: is key to the successful achievement of MapUganda’s endeavours,right from the sharing of a common vision, mission and objectives, to the mutual support that individuals are expected to extend to one another to ensure cost effective implementation of planned activities
- Excellence: High level of quality delivery in all MapUganda work.
- Flexibility: Responding to the evolving needs of our clients, donors, members and the international development sector through ongoing activities.
- Equity: MapUganda shall not discriminate any employee on the basis of their nationality, gender, health, and ability. Equal opportunities rights shall be emphasized and encouraged.
- To build a network of mappers throughout Uganda.
- To provide training and capacity building that will enable individuals and organizations manage social, economic and community challenges.
- Set up programs to promote awareness of the organization activities among citizens
- To create opportunities for members in the network to engage in global sustainable development initiatives.
- To promote innovations from community members that will provide solutions to challenges in their communities for social and economic development.
- To create resilient communities that can respond to local, national and global efforts that meet sustainable development goals.
- Take part and facilitate mapping initiatives within the East African Community, the African continent, and the global community.
- Provide training in OpenStreetMap and open data.
- Providing training in cartographic tools and skills to businesses, universities, government agencies and NGOs.
Give your bit, help the community, Donate a little.